Saturday, May 2, 2009

leavin on a jet plane

Well folks, it's here. I am leaving for the airport in about 8 hours. That is unreal to me. Seriously though, I still can't believe I am going to AFRICA. I have been dreaming about this for so long and it is HERE. AH. I just want to get over there, all of this packing and list checking off-ing is making me anxious. I wish I could express how excited I am. Thank you so much for all of the donations and support that have made this adventure possible. It means so much to me and I am forever grateful. thank you thank you thank you!

I can't wait to meet the people of Uganda, to learn of their culture and build friendships. I can't wait to walk through the town and have people yell "Mzungu, mzungu!" (white person) at me. I can't wait to hold a little African baby. I can't wait to see the beauty of Africa. I can't wait to improve someone's life. I can't wait to be improved myself. I can't wait to hear amazing African music and singing. I can't wait to cut open my first good mango. I can't wait to use hand wipes as a shower. I can't wait to go running through Lugazi. I can't wait to see a giraffe, in Africa, not at the zoo (hopefully). I can't wait to make life-long friends. I can't wait to make a difference in the world.

Well Uganda, I'm on my way. After a few day stop in Amsterdam I will be all yours for 12 weeks. See you soon, I can't wait.

ps I hear Uganda has the best avocados...aka insane homemade guacomole. we'll see what develops

1 comment:

  1. Aly, I wish you didn't have to go so far away. And the whole hand-wipe shower thing, yeah, it could be worse, believe me. Remember who you are and what you stand for.

    ReplyDelete